Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Churched

I ran across a blog online by Tim Bruster, in which he lists the top 15 theological topics/issues today. One of the first comments I read under his post was about the local church. So I got to thinking, if people don't engage with other believers and seekers, how can the important theological issues of our day be discussed? 

I'm not saying that everyone needs to go to church. In fact, I am not sure that a whole lot of  discussion about important theological topics even happens at any given Sunday morning service. Growing up in the church, most of the discussions I overheard were pretty much the same as discussions people have at the grocery store with acquaintances they randomly come across. Either that, or speculation about this or that person who did not show up to "church" that day.

Is that really what church means? A group of people who call themselves Christians meeting in one building to sing lyrics they read from a screen on the wall and listen to someone who supposedly knows more than they do about God and the bible tell them how they should be living their lives.

Before I blaspheme any further, I would like to point out that I have been in churches where genuine fellowship happens and people are genuinely seeking God and truth about important theological issues. However, I have noticed that those churches in which theological issues are paramount, where it seems that every member is a biblical scholar, in such churches, there is a certain lack of welcome for those who are seeking and those who are lost. Those churches are closed off in a way because they are so consumed with finding theological answers. On the other hand, churches where it's all about love and welcome and fellowship, where everyone is hugging and meeting together outside of church hours (yes, they are actually real friends, not just on Sunday morning--imagine that!), there is often a lack of importance placed on discussing theological issues. These people discuss the gospel and the teachings of Jesus, how we can walk in his footsteps, but they tend to shy away from theological debate because it can be divisive.

What is a part-time theologian to do in this situation? The only group of people friendly enough to accept me is pretty much closed to any serious discussion of theology. Yet those who would debate with me til we were both blue (or red) in the face do not welcome me.

My family and I came up with a sort of solution with the help of some friends of ours who were going through a sort of theological revolution with us at the time. The revolution was such that we had to leave "the church" because our new ideas were so radical that we became theologically unwelcome. In any case, we began a new "church" that we dubbed "Beer & Bible Study" (B & BS). Anyone who liked to drink beer and discuss biblical topics (not necessarily both, and not necessarily at the same time) was welcome. Maybe this is what every church needs as a supplement?  Small groups that meet and invite anyone and everyone to come and discuss theology.

Grace and peace to you!

2 comments:

  1. I can't find a link to subscribe to your blog... :'(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see a link when I enter a comment, on the bottom right of the comment text box, it says "subscribe by email".

    ReplyDelete